Easter TV commercial created and produced by Dreaming Fish Productions for UK based company, Hollywood Bowl.
Creating our first TV commercial in Crawley
Back in January of 2016, Hollywood Bowl got in touch with us to enquire about producing an Easter TV commercial for them, to help raise their brand awareness. The brief was competitive and the DF team came up with about 12 different approaches for the advert storyline. Hollywood Bowl loved the idea of a boy bowling with his family watching tensely, as they wait for the final pin to fall. This approach was agreed in early February and the script was later signed off by ClearCast midway through the month.
The 30 second commercial was filmed at the end of February in Crawley, one of Hollywood Bowl’s many venues. The advert was then edited over the next couple of weeks, completed and ready for it’s launch on Sky AdSmart on 21st March 2016 (just in time for the Easter holidays!).
Our TV checklist
We learnt a lot about producing our first TV commercial and we wanted to share with you our top 5 things to think about when creating a TV commercial:
1. Who’s your audience? – make sure you know who your audience is and ensure that your messaging (visual and written) is aimed especially at them.
2. Animation vs live action? – both have their uses so think which approach works best for the product or messaging.
3. Budget – set your budget but don’t forget that you need budget for the production of the TV commercial as well as to buy the media space.
4. Don’t ignore the legals – ensure you leave enough time to get the TV commercial cleared by a company such as ClearCast so you don’t get into legal issues later.
5. It’s more than just a TV commercial – your ad is more than just 30 seconds on screen. Think about how your ad will work on different social media channels, and how an edited version would work if it had to be cut to 15 seconds for use on Instagram.
A big thank you to all of those who worked on this video with us (talent and MUAs) and a special shout out to Liz, Mat and everyone at Hollywood Bowl for trusting us with their TV commercial. We had so much fun creating this and everyone loved the final video!